Plastic Extruder DC Drive Retrofits with Carotron’s Elite Pro Digital Controller
by John N. McMurray, Sales Engineer
Carotron has had good success in large plastics extrusion plants replacing several older DC drives of various manufacture. Most are ordered in the Chassis configuration, but we alo offer complete drive packages, including fusing and a circuit breaker, in a Nema 12 enclosure. Most common sizes are in the 100 to 400 horsepower range.
When we made our original presentation, the plant management and technicians had the same question: “With our current four or five drive suppliers giving us fits in regard to reliability, availability, and field service response, why should we add another headache with Carotron?”
Our answer was this….
1. Carotron’s Elite Pro is a state-of-the-art DC drive with an excellent reliability record. It has the wide range of inputs, outputs, and programmable functions that enable it to replace many different drive brands;
2. Carotron maintains an inventory of drives and drive sub-assemblies to respond quickly to a customer’s immediate need. We can often ship a tested drive the same day we get the order;
3. You get a brand new drive with a 12-month warranty, often for less than the cost of an expedited field repair;
4. We offer excellent technical application and troubleshooting service 24-7;
5. Carotron provides factory training at our plant to help the customers become self-sufficient;
6. Our sales and service engineers are ready to travel, if needed, and we are not that far away;
7. With only one drive series to stock and learn, troubleshooting time is reduced and downtime is minimized;
8. If the DC motor is in good shape, it is usually less expensive to replace the DC drive than to convert the system to an AC inverter and new AC motor. There are both electrical and mechanical modifications that must be addressed which can add significant cost beyond simply replacing the DC drive.
Other than that…
If you have this type of application, or know of any plant which has aging, “legacy” DC drives, let Carotron help you provide a timely, friendly, and cost-effective solution to your customer’s frustrations.
*Note: If you have an extruder drive retrofit opportunity, we have full motor and drive nameplate data available and can get an answer to you more quickly!
Call and speak to one of our trained service engineers – they’re always glad to help with your application. Call Carotron today at: 1-888-286-8614